2005-2006 ZX6RR 636 Frame Slider Installation
05-06 ZX6RR 636 Installation Instructions for:
Tools you will need:
4mm Hex/Allen key/driver
6mm Hex/Allen driver
8mm Hex/Allen driver
Ratchet and extension
Fairings do not need to be modified (cut) in any way. Only the left side mid fairing needs to be removed to attach bracket and slider assembly.
Before step one, you can hold the frame slider and bracket assembly in position to get a rough idea how the assembly will be mounted, as the bracket can be mounted at a range of angles. Take note of its position- this will help with step four.
1. Remove the left side mid fairing to gain access to the upper left engine mount bolt.
2. Remove the left side engine mount bolt with the 6mm hex driver. The bolt has a nut on the back side which is held in place, so you won’t need to hold it with a wrench, but you will need to be ready to catch it when it falls out of place.
NOTICE: The engine mount bolts are normally very tight from the factory. You will not be able to loosen the bolts with just a 6mm hex key- you will need a hex driver (the type that is used with a 3/8 or 1/2 drive ratchet).
3. The nut is a lock nut and needs to be installed with the locking tabs facing towards the inside of the bike or the nut will not start onto the bolt threads.
4. Install the left side frame slider and bracket assembly. Hold the lock nut in place and start threading the supplied bolt into place. After the bolt starts threading into the nut, pull outward on the bracket while continuing to tighten the bolt; this will keep the nut in place until the bolt is tight. If you are using a torque wrench, tighten to 40-45 lbs/ft.
At this point, remove the slider from the bracket and apply blue Loctite to the threads of the bolt that holds the slider to the bracket, then reinstall the slider to the bracket. Make sure the bolt that holds the slider to the offset bracket has a flat washer and a locking washer. The locking washer should be between the bolt head and the flat washer.
Torque the bolt that holds the slider to the bracket to 30 lbs/ft.
5. Re-install the left side mid fairing.
6. On the right side you will see a castle-type nut on a large stud. This is the lock nut for the engine mount adjuster and does not need to be loosened. At a glance, it may appear that the engine mount bolt and the stud are one, but the stud is hollow and the engine mount bolt runs through it. Remove the bolt with your 6mm hex driver.
7. Hold the nut in place, remembering to face it toward the inside of the bike, and install the right side slider using the supplied bolt. Make sure the supplied flat washer is installed between the frame slider bolt head and frame slider. If using a torque wrench, tighten to 40-45 lbs/ft.
Caution: Do not use high alkaline based detergents to clean the offset bracket. Use of harsh detergents could cause discoloration of the anodized finish of the bracket.
If you have a crash and damage one side, you can purchase just the side you need by contacting us or by purchasing directly from our website. Observe whether or not the bolts or bracket is bent.
For questions regarding this installation, please contact us.
Note: This set is installed with the front axle in its normal operating position.
1. Apply medium strength thread locker compound to the supplied mounting screw being sure that the washer is on the screw.
2. Install one of the axle sliders onto the supplied shaft and lightly tighten with a 5mm hex wrench.
3. Insert slider and shaft assembly into the axle.
4. Apply medium thread locker compound to the remaining screw and insert through the remaining slider. While holding the
opposing slider/shaft firmly in place by hand, insert the slider/screw into the axle and carefully start the screw into
the shaft. It may take some careful positioning of the shaft to get the screw threads started into the shaft.
5. Once the screw has been started and confirmed that proper thread engagement was made, lightly torque the
6. Final tighten the opposing screw with light torque.
Important: Do not over tighten the left or right side screw.
For technical assistance, please contact us
Apply a small amount of medium strength (blue threadlocker) to the threads of the supplied screws. Install each with light to medium torque.
1. Apply a small amount of medium strength thread locker (Loctite) to the threads of supplied screws.
2. Install each side with light torque.
3. Warning! Ensure that there is no interference between the right side bar grip and the bar end that would inhibit smooth throttle action.